Here are Label Planet’s top tips for choosing the right adhesive for the job.
Labels are available with all kinds of adhesive to suit all kinds of label applications. So how do you know which one is right for you?
- Permanent or Removable?
Generally speaking, self adhesive labels fall into one of these two categories: permanent or removable.
A permanent adhesive is designed to create a strong bond between a label and a surface, which will allow the label to remain securely in place and make it difficult to remove the label – at least, without causing damage to the label itself and/or to the surface the label is applied to.
A removable adhesive is designed to create a bond between a label and a surface that will ensure the label remains in place but that it is also easy to remove from the surface without causing any damage or leaving behind any adhesive residue.
- What are you sticking the label onto?
In particular, you need to consider the material and surface qualities of the item you are labelling. This can influence whether you choose a permanent or removable adhesive, as well as the strength of that particular type of adhesive.
For example, if you are applying a label onto a flat surface made from a common material (such as paper or cardboard) you simply need to decide if you want the label to be permanent or temporary and you can choose the appropriate adhesive type. However, if you have a unusual surface or material, you may need to consider things more carefully. For example:
- A permanent adhesive is likely to act like a removable adhesive if it is applied to fabric items. So if you want a label to use as a name badge at a party or function, you would be best choosing the standard permanent adhesive, rather than the standard removable adhesive (which would most likely fall off).
- Delicate items should always be labelled with a removable adhesive to ensure no damage is done when the label is removed. We have two types of removable adhesives – a standard removable adhesive and a super removable adhesive, which was specifically designed for use on glass. The super removable adhesive leaves absolutely no adhesive residue behind when it is removed and so is ideal for delicate items made of glass or paper.
- When a permanent label is required that absolutely must stay attached to the item it is applied to, you should look for a strong permanent adhesive, rather than a standard permanent adhesive. Our high tack adhesive is designed to create a bond that is extremely difficult to break, meaning that the label is very difficult to remove.
- If you are applying a label to an unusual surface, then you may need to choose a stronger adhesive than you would for a standard surface. For example, if the item you need to label is made of metal, wood, plastic, or fabric, you may wish to consider one of our stronger adhesives (such as our high tack adhesive or our marine quality adhesive).
- Where will the label be stored after it has been applied?
If a label (and the item it is applied to) need to be stored in an unusual environment, then you will need to pick an adhesive that will work in those conditions. We have a few special adhesives available that are suitable for the following conditions:
- Freezer Labels: unsurprisingly, these labels have a freezer adhesive that is designed to work on a range of surfaces in deep freeze conditions. These labels are ideal for food packaging or for medical and research samples.
- MWP/MWPE Labels: these labels have our marine adhesive, which has been tested for three months in marine conditions. These labels are ideal for outdoor use or for indoor applications where the label must be able to survive contact with liquids.