Template Tuesday Presents...how to set up your setup to get the best possible print alignment for templates.
Everyone will have their own setup that they want to use to print their own self adhesive labels. This includes their sticky labels, computer/tablet, operating system, software/application, and printer. All of these elements can influence how well (or not) a label template aligns with a sheet of sticky labels.
Label Planet’s Checklist For Achieving Perfect Alignment Between Label Templates & Self Adhesive Labels
Follow these steps to get the best possible print alignment:
- Make sure your design suits your label size/shape. Centralise your design and oversize backgrounds and/or borders to overlap your sticky labels.
- Fan your sheet labels to separate each sheet and remove static.
- Load the narrow edge (210mm) of your sheet labels into your printer first.
- Use the media bypass tray if your printer has one.
- Position the tray guides neatly and firmly along the edges of your sheet labels. Your sheets must align neatly.
- Make sure your software/printer driver are up to date (run Windows Updates or App Store Updates).
- Check your printer’s manual for recommendations and check the media specifications to confirm your printer can print sticky labels.
- Go into Printer Properties / Printing Preferences and confirm:
- The PAGE SIZE is A4.
- You have no SCALING options selected (i.e. less than 100% or “Fit To” options). Select “Actual Size” if available.
- You have no DEFAULT SETTINGS selected (e.g. “Use Default/Driver Settings” or “Ignore Printer Settings).
- The MEDIA TYPE is set to “Labels” or “Heavy Paper” or a suitable alternative; if you have a separate MEDIA WEIGHT option, choose one suitable for your sheet labels. We list this information on our material specification sheets.
- You have selected the correct TRAY SOURCE (i.e. the media bypass tray).
- The PRINT QUALITY (Printer Resolution) is set to a higher level when printing photographs or high resolution artwork.
- Enable “Edge-To-Edge” (Borderless) Printing to print all the way to the edges of your A4 sheets – if your printer offers this function.
- DO A TEST PRINT ONTO PAPER BEFORE PRINTING ONTO YOUR STICKY LABELS.
Next Week On Template Tuesday: Troubleshooting Misaligned Label Templates 101