Here's how to put your order onto our special delivery service.
Sometimes you just need to make sure your labels arrive in time and we always do our best to get orders despatched as quickly as possible. To help make sure your labels are delivered in plenty of time, we also try to offer the best possible delivery option, based on the particular items you are ordering and where you are having them delivered to.
Orders of 500 sheets or more are automatically delivered on a next working day carrier service. Items will either be despatched immediately from warehouse stock or, for items that need to be made to order, as soon as the products have been made. We do have AM delivery options available in certain cases – to check if this option is available for your order, you will need to call us on 01270 688076. For customers who are based in Ireland or in Extended Postcode Areas, your orders will most likely be on a two-day carrier service.
Smaller orders that are picked from stock will be despatched same day via Royal Mail’s first class service as standard. If you wish to add a Special Delivery option to your order, we offer the following options:
- SATURDAY GUARANTEE: for urgent orders that are placed on Fridays, we offer a Saturday Guarantee option. You need to phone us directly to request this service, and we do advise customers that it isn’t 100% effective.
- NEXT WORKING DAY, PRE-9AM GUARANTEE: for urgent orders that you need delivering early the next day, we offer a pre-9am guaranteed delivery service. As for the Saturday Guarantee, you do need to phone us directly to request this service.
- NEXT WORKING DAY, PRE-1PM GUARANTEE: as our most popular special delivery option, this is available either by phone OR as you make your order online. Our website will automatically calculate if your order qualifies for this particular shipping option and, if it does, you will be given the option to upgrade your delivery service after your enter your Delivery Information in the checkout. If your order does NOT qualify, the checkout simply will not display any option to choose an alternative delivery service.
TIP: while our standard delivery is via Royal Mail’s first class service, we would like to remind customers that first class mail is NOT a guaranteed service. Around 93% of mail that is sent first class will be delivered the next day, but the remaining 7% can take a day or two extra, particularly in areas such as London. Also, while we charge a Shipping Fee for our Special Delivery options, we only ever charge what the Royal Mail charges for these services. You can find out more about our delivery options on our Delivery Information Pages.