Here are our answers to your most frequently asked questions about compatible labels.
What Do You Mean By Compatible Labels?
When we say our products are compatible, we mean that they use the same label size and layout (but different materials) to labels produced by other label manufacturers.
This means that you can use a template designed for another manufacturer's labels to print labels you have bought from us.
How Do I Know If Your Labels Are Compatible With Another Manufacturer's Labels?
There are two ways to find out if our labels are compatible with those of another label manufacturer.
- Compare the measurements of both label products. First check if we supply the same label size. You can do this using our Label Finder or our Search By Height and Search By Width pages. If you find a match, you then need to make sure we use the same label layout. You can do this by checking the more detailed product measurements listed on the individual template page for each product. Click on the Templates link on the product information page or visit our Label Templates home page and select your label shape and size.
- Ask our Customer Service Team; let us know the label code and/or measurements that you have and we'll let you know if we supply a compatible product.
Why Do Some Of Your Labels Have More Than One Compatible Code?
Generally speaking, this is because different manufacturers use different codes for their products. However, some manufacturers have complicated things further by using the same codes for their labels and their label templates.
Most manufacturers supply a range of label sizes, many of which are available in different materials/adhesives. This means you can use one template to print multiple products that share the same label size and layout.
At Label Planet, our product codes have two parts; the first is the size code and the second is the material code. Our templates are named using the relevant size code. We supply one set of templates for each size (not for each product).
For example, our label size 99.1 x 139mm is available in a range of materials. The product code for our standard paper labels in this size is LP4/99. For our gloss paper laser labels in the same size, we use the code LP4/99 GW. The template code for both of these products is LP4/99.
Other manufacturers use unique codes for their products – and use the same codes for their templates. This means that they have templates for each product (not each size).
To continue our example, a manufacturer might supply the 99.1 x 139mm label size as two paper products; LSR139 is paper labels for laser printers and INK139 is paper labels for inkjet printers.
Both products will have their own template (named using the same code) and these two templates (LSR139 and INK139) will be identical.
This means that our LP4/99 (and LP4/99 GW etc) labels would be compatible with both of these template codes.
Why Can’t I Find A Compatible Code In My Software?
If you’ve got a compatible code but are struggling to find it in your software, this could be because…
- You haven’t selected the correct label vendor. Some manufacturers will be listed multiple times, usually in reference to different product ranges or worldwide markets (e.g. UK / A4 page size, US / US Letter page size). Each range or market will have its own set of product codes so you won’t be able to find your code if you aren’t looking at the right set of templates.
- You are using a code for a product that has been discontinued by a particular manufacturer and subsequently dropped from your software.
- Your software doesn’t include that particular code in its list of built-in templates. The set of built-in templates available may be revised when software is updated. The most popular and common templates available at the time the software is created or updated is usually included BUT these sets tend to offer a selection of templates rather than every template currently in existence. This can mean that older codes or less popular sizes may be removed or left out of template sets.
It may be worth trying to find another code that uses the same label size and layout - given that most label compatible label sizes will have multiple compatible template codes.
Why Can’t I Find A Compatible Code For Label Planet Product Code LP…/…?
While many of our label sizes are compatible with sizes supplied by different label manufacturers, some of them are actually unique to us. This is why we have created Word and PDF label templates for all of our label sizes for customers to use free of charge. These templates can be downloaded from our Template Home page (select your label shape and size) or by clicking on the “Label Templates and Printing Information” link on the relevant product page.
Got Any More Questions & Queries? Check Out Our Help Pages Or Get In Touch!
We’ve put together a range of guides, tips, and resources to create a Help Section that aims provide help and advice on designing and printing your own self adhesive labels – whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned pro! This section includes guides on designing and printing labels, top tips and a troubleshooting guide, along with our template section.
If you find that your particular question or query isn’t answered on these pages, get in touch with our Customer Service Team. You can give us a call during office hours (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm) or email firstname.lastname@example.org at any time.